As with life, so with social media. They’re not that different, really.
1. Avoid hubris/constant self-promotion.
Even if you’ve got a pet topic or issue, change the record occasionally.
2. Listen as much as (possibly even more than) you speak.
You’ll learn something about the environment you’re in, the interests, preoccupations and social patterns of people around you.
3. Give credit where it’s due.
Use social & tech norms/tools to show source and point your followers towards others you value.
4. Bring insight/resources/wit to topics, issues and conversations.
Add something. If you can’t add anything, question the value of opening your mouth.
5. Follow and seek the opinions of people outside your bubble, so you don’t fall into the trap of thinking everyone is just like you.